Sacred 2:Shield Lore
|Chance to Block, +%:||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||18||19,5||22,1||24,2||26,3||28,2||29,7||31,2||33,2||34,9||36,4||37,7|
- Grants a chance to block close combat attacks.
Parameters of block are calculated layerwise: 80% chance to block on shields and 20% chance to block on Bracers will not grant 100% chance to block (only 80+20*0.2 = 84%). However, "shield lore" skill mastery grants the bonus, which stacks cumulatively (1+1=2) with a chance of a block on the shield: thus, when a bonus block from "shield lore" skill mastery and a chance to block on the shield summary reached 100%, the character would be completely immune to all melee attacks, including weapon-based CAs.
- "Item Level Without Penalty" reduces the attack speed penalties for equipping high-level shields; it doesn't allow equipping shields above certain threshold (which depends on character level - see Items/Usable Item Levels)
- As of version 184.108.40.206 of the game, the in-game skill description still says it increases the Defense Value of shields. However it is in fact the total Defense Value of characters which is increased when a shield is equipped. For instance, even a shield without any innate defense value will still increase the character's defense.
- Item level without penalty is increased by one for every two skill points spent, starting at character level value. It is capped at 250.
- The Defense Bonus and Chance to Block are increased in steps as shown in the Shield Lore full table.
The Defense bonus at a given skill level x is given fairly precisely by the following formulas:
- 400*(x+1.5)/(x+100) Pre-Mastery
- 600*(x-32.5)/(x+66) Mastery
The Chance to Block bonus at a given skill level x is given fairly precisely by the following formulas:
- 60*(x-32.5)/(x+66) Mastery
The bold marked numbers are the smallest upper bounds of this progression, which will never at any skill level be exceeded.
As an example, defense at x=75: 75 is the first mastery level, so we take the mastery formula and we have
600*(75-32.5)/(75+66) = 600*42.5/141 = 180.85
This value compared with the table value is a good example of the precision the formulas offer.
Shields consist of: