Sacred 2:Magic Staffs
Improves wielding magic staves by increasing the chance to hit, as well as Attack Speed. Grants the ability to use higher-level weapons successfully. Since the Ice and Blood add-on, choosing this skill unlocks the ability to use staves as ranged weapons.
|Attack Speed, +%:||1,9||8,3||14,3||19,2||23,7||27,3||30,7||33,5||34,7||36||39||44,2||48,7||52,7||56,4||59,5||62,5||66,5||69,9||72,9||75,5|
|Double Hit, +%:||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||23||24,5||27,1||29,3||31,4||33,2||34,8||36,3||38,2||39,9||41,4||42,7|
- Grants a chance to execute a special attack animation that inflicts one additional hit (2 instead of 1).
- In Sacred 2: Fallen Angel, staves were melee only. As of the Ice & Blood expansion, picking this skill makes staves ranged. The special attack animation can still trigger, but ranged weapons are incapable of spawning multiple projectiles during a single attack. This means that the skill will make the special animation trigger more often but still launch only a single projectile. As the special animation is longer than the regular attack ones, this skill can actually lower the DPS of a character who wishes to use staff attacks as their main source of damage.
- Affects only normal attacks, not Combat Arts.
- NOTE: The special attack chance functions and increases from level 1, it just becomes visible and receives a big boost once the skill is mastered.
- This skill will unlock weapon attributes that require Magic Staffs skill (like "Attack speed (Magic Staffs)).
- "Item Level Without Penalty" reduces the speed penalties for equipping high-level weapons, it doesn't allow equipping weapons above certain threshold (which depends on character level - see Items/Usable Item Levels)
- The projectiles granted by this skill are comparable in speed, flight path and range to those of Energy Weapons. (see Ranged Weapons for more info and comparison). The color and texture of the projectiles changes according to the primary elemental damage type on the staff (which is changeable by socketing a damage converter such as a Chunk of Lava):
- Most game mods, including CM Patch, Enhanced Edition or Purist Fixpack make staves ranged by default to fix a vanilla bug/exploit when dual-wielding a staff, greatly reducing the appeal of picking this skill.
- Item level without penalty is increased by one for every two skill points spent, starting at character level value. It is capped at 250.
- The bonuses are increased in steps as shown in the Magic Staffs full table.
The Attack Value bonus at a given skill level x is given fairly precisely by the following formulas:
- 400*(x+1.5)/(x+100) Pre-Mastery
- 600*(x-32.5)/(x+66) Mastery
The Attack Speed bonus at a given skill level x is given fairly precisely by the following formulas:
- 80*(x+1.5)/(x+100) Pre-Mastery
- 120*(x-32.5)/(x+66) Mastery
The bold marked numbers are the smallest upper bounds of this progression, which will never at any skill level be exceeded.
As an example, attack value at x=75: 75 is the first mastery level, so we take the mastery formula and we have
600*(75-32.5)/(75+66) = 600*42.5/141 = 180.85
This value compared with the table value is a good example of the precision the formulas offer.
Magic staffs consist of: